Services: Transport Economics / Traffic Engineering
Status: Completed - 2010
A study to assess the baseline and economic costs of current congestion in Greater Cairo Metropolitan Area (GCMA), based on which to prepare policy recommendations and an action plan to reduce traffic congestion.
Scope: - Refining the direct costs of congestion that were estimated in Phase I.
- Estimating the indirect costs of congestion.
- Developing a set of recommendations for addressing the problem of congestion in the GCMA, including policy, regulatory, and investment actions.
Tasks accomplished by SETS: - Collecting data on sample local roads in GCMA, and refining the estimation of direct economic costs.
- Producing traffic and congestion cost forecasts under various scenarios.
Supportive role played by SETS: - Quantifying the indirect economic costs of traffic congestion.
- Identifying and prioritizing traffic management and investment measures for congestion reduction.
- Identifying and prioritizing policy and regulatory measures for congestion reduction.
- Recommending a comprehensive ‘package’ of policy, regulatory, and investment instruments.