Services: Traffic Simulation / Transport Demand Models / Intelligent Transport Systems / Site Surveys
Status: Completed - July 2018
The City of Riyadh is witnessing huge and unprecedented transportation projects aiming to accommodate the steady increase in traffic, passengers, and freight movements. In response to population growth and the rapid increase in traffic volumes, engineers and planners have to verify if the transportation systems and modes are capable to accommodate traffic and to meet the citizens’ needs to reach their destinations quickly and safely.
In this context, the Riyadh Municipality is implementing a comprehensive Traffic Management Program which will be periodically repeated every three years. Through this program, the City of Riyadh will be able to keep pace with its transport system needs through the provision of comprehensive and frequent improvements to its transport and traffic infrastructure. The Program has a separate track for Upgrading the City’s Traffic Model.
Upgrade of City of Riyadh Traffic Model
Data collection, including:
- 15,000 Household Surveys,
- 5,000 Roadside Interviews
- 350 ATC and TMC Traffic counts
- 20-route Journey Time Surveys
Update the existing TransCAD model for the base year 2016 including landuse and road network
- Develop a similar and parallel model using VISUM software
- Calibrate and validate the two models for the base year scenario
- Develop multiple future scenarios that include Public Transport and future growth plans